August 27, 2008

Babylon A.D. will probably suck

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I was kinda hoping it'd be okay. Alas, when a director trashes his own movie, you know it's going to suck. Such is the case with Babylon A.D.. Apparently, director Matthieu Kassovitz thinks that Fox is terrible and only cares about money and stupid action. Is anybody surprised by that? I hope not.

In a new interview at AMCTV Kassovitz says of Babylon A.D., "I'm very unhappy with the film. I never had a chance to do one scene the way it was written or the way I wanted it to be. The script wasn't respected. Bad producers, bad partners, it was a terrible experience." "

If you read that quote and are thinking he may not exactly be talking about Fox, think again. The final quote in the article brings it home. "I should have chosen a studio that has guts. Fox was just trying to get a PG-13 movie. I'm ready to go to war against them, but I can't because they don't give a shit."

The film has been in post-production for some time and has apparently been cut down to a meager 93 minutes with a reported 70 minutes falling to the cutting room floor. AMC mentions a quote star Vin Diesel gave a while back saying, "Am I even in the movie any more, or am I on the cutting room floor?"

It's interesting to see a director talk about a film of his in such a way, especially when he says it is "pure violence and stupidity" saying parts of it "are like a bad episode of '24'."



I might wind up seeing it out of morbid curiousity, anyway. Even so, disappointing to hear.

Rope of Silicon

No comments: